How to Build Messenger Chat Bots
April 19, 2016 - During the F8 Developer's Conference, there was a session that described the basics on how to build chat bots for Messenger. The video of this session is https://developers.facebook.com/videos/f8-2016/building-your-messenger-bot/. In summary, the video introduces 3 speakers: Seth Rosenberg, Mikhail Larionov, and Willy Blandin.
Seth Rosenberg, Product Manager for Messenger, gave an introduction to the Messenger Platform and the purposes for it. He gave a good examples how businesses prior have used Messenger to promote their business which gave inspiration to opening the platform up for developers.
Mikhail Larionov, Lead Software Engineer, gave a live demo on how easy it is to create a bot within a few minutes. He demo-ed the following:
Here is a more detail quick start: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/messenger-platform/quickstart
- Create a Facebook App and Page associated to the bot
- Setup the Webhook to communicate between Messenger server and the developer's server
- Get the Page Access Authentication Token
- Subscribe the Bot to the Page for communication with the Page Access Token
- Test to send and receive message
Willy Blandin, Software Engineer for Wit.ai Bot Engine, gave a live demo on how to use the Wit.ai Bot Engine to create a natural language bot with the toolset provided for developers.